Monday, June 23, 2008

What's Blooming in My Garden-- June 24, 2008


Ahhhh! The buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentum) is abloom. Hopefully, it will be drawing in the beneficials very soon. I took this picture a couple of days ago. Now all that green is slowly being overtaken by the little white flowers.


Bachelor's buttons (Centaurea cyanus) reseeded themselves and are tangled among the lacy leaves of the yarrow (Achillea millefolium.


Prickly pear (Opuntia spp.) blossom. I'm trying to enjoy these more... exotic flowers now because they won't be here next year. The prickly pear is coming out to make way for more blueberries and blackberries. Yes, I know the PP is edible, but I can't tell you how tired I am of having to pick those insanely tiny little spines out of my hands and feet and clothes. Give me blackberry thorns anyday!


Ummmmm... not really sure what this one is. It's an Allium of some sort. I can tell by the smell of the leaves, but I'm not sure WHICH Allium. Anyone out there wanna take a stab? Last year, I swear these did not come up. There were chives and a whole lotta Star of Bethlehem (Ornithogalum umbellatum), but none of these bad boys. These plants are quite large, towering over my raspberry bushes even. Whatever they are, they're quite beautiful, and I'm glad they showed up.

Last but not least...


The first hollyhock just bloomed today. I see flower dolls in my future...

No comments: