Wednesday, June 25, 2008

La Framboise



Finally...

When I was growing up, it was our Summer Solstice tradition to go berry picking. We never had to go far for the raspberries because there was a hedgerow of them right in our backyard. My mother never had a vegetable garden, but raspberries were a must-have. It was a legacy in our family. My great-grandmother had raspberries on her farm, and she passed them onto my aunt who had a farm when I was a little girl. A few snips later, and my aunt had passed them onto my mom. One of my greatest regrets is that I don't have a daughter of my mother's raspberries growing in my garden. Luckily, though, my cousin rescued some raspberries from my mother's house and is growing them in her garden. As soon as the two of us can get together, I'll become part of the legacy too.

For now, my Latham Reds will have to do. Is it just me, or does this raspberry love me too? Beautifully heart-shaped...

No comments: