Monday, June 16, 2008

Independence Days Challenge-- Week 2

First of all, let me give a world of thanks to all the wonderful people who commented on my Imperfectly Beautiful Garden post. How kind of you all to visit my little blog space and to leave such encouraging messages. It really lifted my spirits. Really, thank you!

Now onto Independence Days. Week 2 is going to be particularly light on doings because the whole family was ill, AND it rained several days. Fun stuff. Still...

1. Planted: German chamomile (Matricaria recutita), rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) in pots (will I ever have rosemary this year?)

2. Harvest something: Sage for the herbal steam inhalation. Some more lemon balm for tea.

3. Preserve something: Dried the lemon balm and some of the sage.

4. Prep something: Got a teensy bit more of the lawn ripped up. That's really it. Read several library books, some helpful and some not. Look for book reviews here soon! Researched columnar fruit trees and talked with the neighbor about planting them between our very close together houses.

5. Cook something: Didn't cook anything from the garden and didn't try any new recipes.

6. Manage your reserves: Was going to use some overripe bananas for banana bread, but The Husband got to them before I had the energy and tossed them in the garbage. You heard me right. THE GARBAGE. Not even the compost pile! I really wanted to cause him bodily harm...

7. Work on local food systems: Didn't really do anything here. I did send some of my rabid lemon balm to my bestest pal, but she's in West Virginia. I don't think that really counts as "local." T, you'll be rolling in lemon balm before you know it! ;)

8. Reduce waste: Brought home the scraps from our Father's Day dinner at The Husband's mom's house for Madame TrashHeap (That would be the compost pile. What? You've never seen Fraggle Rock?) rather than letting them put them all down the garbage disposal. Put some more stuff from the attic on eBay.

9. Learn a new skill: Learned how to make Sleepytime Balm with Crisco.

This coming week will be better.

No comments: