Wednesday, September 10, 2008

What's In YOUR Maple Syrup?

Photo of me coveting one of Mama Maple's leaves last fall.

Here's what's in my Log Cabin Original Syrup:

~Corn syrup
~High fructose corn syrup
~Water
~Contains 2% or Less of: Salt, Natural and Artificial Maple Flavor, Cellulose Gum, Preservatives (Sorbic Acid, Sodium Benzoate), Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Caramel Color, Mono and Diglycerides.

Yum. I love that the brand website shares this little factoid: "There is a good chance our grandfather’s grandfather grew up using Log Cabin syrup." Not THIS Log Cabin syrup, pal!

So now, of course, my mind has turned once again to tapping our two maple trees. Last winter, I verified that Mama Maple and Sister Maple were indeed tap-worthy species (shhhh... don't tell them I didn't know!), but as is my way, I hmmed and hawed about actually doing the tapping. I didn't have the equipment, I wasn't sure what I was doing, I'd really rather see a demonstration before I go tearing into my two beautiful tree companions, we don't use maple syrup all that often anyway, the neighbor spawn--er, kids-- will wreak havoc on my little operation, etc. The excuses are neverending. Will I take the plunge this year and go a-tappin'? Only time will tell.

Now I'm off to do some more research. ;)

1 comment:

jake said...

Ive spent a lot of time in the northeast... mostly Vermont... Theres nothing better than real maple syrup. In fact, I just went camping this past weekend and my dad said... dont forget the Aunt Jemima. And I said "screw that! Im bringing the real stuff!" I made pancakes on the campout with some real maple syrup and it was a hit. Many people dont even know about the real stuff either.