Wednesday, July 16, 2008

What's Blooming in My Garden-- July 16, 2008


Scarlett Runner Bean (Phaseolus coccineus) is putting out blooms now. I can't wait to taste those big, fat beans!


Volunteer calendula (Calendula officinalis) reseeded from last year. These blossoms make me so insanely happy, and I can't wait to start using them for some new skin cream.


Bee balm (Monarda fistulosa) blooming for the first time ever in my garden. I had to seriously nurse this plant. Out of an entire packet of seeds that I planted last year, this was the only one to come up. At the end of the season last year, it caught some powdery mildew, and I was desperately afraid that it would kick the bucket, but, well, you can see here that it's starting to make its own way.


My daylily (Hemerocallis spp.), cultivar 'Pandora's Box', is finally bursting with tasty blossoms weeks after the rest of the town's daylilies. Daylily salad anyone?

2 comments:

Green Bean said...

Oh wow! Your scarlet runner beans look SO much better than mine. I planted one a half packets and only 5 came up. The deer visited and ate two of those and then we had a massive heatwave while I was out of town and the remaining three got fried . . . though they are still alive. I'm green with envy. ;-)

Mist said...

Green Bean, thanks so much for stopping by and for your lovely comment!

Sorry to hear about your SRB's, but if it makes you feel any better, I envy you your deer. We're far too urban for them to visit us, and our yard is surrounded by a 6ft privacy fence.